Crisis beds provide 24/7 intensive mental health and support services that are designed to provide clinical support to an individual in a psychiatric crisis.
Crisis beds can be used as an alternative to in-patient hospitalization, when appropriate, or as a step-down from an in-patient psychiatric unit when the individual needs continued clinical support post-discharge.
Anyone who meets the criteria listed below is eligible for a Crisis Bed:
- is over 18 years of age,
- has a diagnosis of a serious mental illness,
- due to acute symptomatology related to the individual’s psychiatric condition, has impaired ability to function within the individual’s community living situation and is in need of a crisis bed to avoid inpatient psychiatric admission or to shorten the length of inpatient stay,
- for clinical reasons, if it is felt that the individual needs a temporary separation from the current living situation,
- has agreed to be referred to a crisis bed,
- expects, with staff support, to be able to comply with treatment recommendations, and
- is able, with staff support, to care for physical needs and basic personal hygiene.
To access Crisis Beds, please call (410) 418-4048, fax # (410) 418-4019.